Feb 5, 2011

Self Disclosure

I've read several very thoughtful "Who am I" type posts lately...authors trying to peel back some layers to describe themselves more transparently.  And, well, I guess I caught the bug.
I don't have a lot of real life friends.  My depression has...over time...worn most of them out.  I find it incredibly hard to return phone calls, to be spontaneous and go out to do things socially.  I'm an introvert in almost every sense of the word.  My self-esteem hovers around dangerous levels most of the time and there are very few emotional outlets where I can really be myself.

Much of what has shaped me comes from my past relationships.  My mother and each of my two ex-wives were extremely controlling, somewhat abusive, and quick with the put-down.  Over time I learned that if I was going to say something...I'd better think it over real good first, to avoid being chastised or told I didn't know anything...or worst of all...to be misunderstood.

As a submissive, I've served around 10 different dominant females (half pro-dommes) and ALL EXCEPT Goddess have described me as STOIC...as a sub inside himself...a slave without words...a slave that is so submissive that I get lost in my head.  With Goddess things are a little different, but I think she still notices how I sort of "shut down" and go into serving mode.  My slavery to Goddess is more complex somehow, a slightly deeper emotional connection and understanding that has grown rather quickly.

My lack of confidence, my stoic nature in and out of play-time, and my over thinking in my head has caused some big problems along my submissive journey.  I've run away from some very strong and worthy dominants.  People who took the time to care about me, to train me, to invest in me.  I guess the running stems mostly from fear of not being good enough for them, or making mistakes.  There has been some vanilla life garbage that definitely has contributed to the running as well...a sort of "nothing bad can happen if I cut myself off from everyone" attitude.

But, like I said, I'm growing.  I'm learning to communicate a little better.  I'm a better match for my owner than anyone I've previously served.  I say that because our objectives, interests, motivations are in tune.  I'll post again with more of a Goddess Centric post, to share a more in depth scope to my slavery to her.

So...what do I need?  I need ownership, companionship, and friendship from patient people...people who understand how singular and fragile I can be...how easily I cry...how quickly I sink into deep subspaces and thrive in their technicolor emotions and feelings.  I'm not sad, although the future does scare me a bit.  Facing the world is tricky when you're a thinker...a STOIC...and living in a fast paced, rat race world.

9 comments:

Walter H. Schulze III said...

I know the feeling of trying to tie shoes with boxing gloves on when it comes to communcication. I too am poor at it, but do try to improve as a form of service to my wife.

thank you for the post.

Panda's property said...

I'm sorry for all that you've been through. I'm introverted in the same kind of way, and have dealt with similar communication problems due to an abusive past...I know it can be really hard.

I'm glad you're improving in your relationship with Goddess, and hope you just continue to grow

Thanks for posting; it was nice learning a little more about you!

M said...

I've struggled with depression as well, so I relate to a great deal of this post.

I'm glad to hear that you and your owner are in synch; it's so much easier to face the hard things when there's someone in your life who understands how difficult they are, who's willing to catch you if you fall.

Anonymous said...

Good on you, Hawk - that is a really healthy post!! - not always easy to 'self analyse' and even more difficult to share, and yet, for me, it is a very cathartic, revealing 'therapy' - a way to reach an understanding, accept and build on.
Thanks for sharing your journey in this way

KaziG said...

Thank you for sharing that, Hawk, and for letting us know you that much better. It can be a scary thing to reveal, I know, particularly where there can be such a stigma around depression. You're among friends here :)

Hawk said...

@SH-Yes it's a skill as a sub, that needs to be refined in order to serve properly.

@P-Property- Thanks, its just part of who we are as subs/slaves...we have some broken parts...we work on them in order to serve better...and hopefully our owners understand and foster that fixing process :-)

@M- You said it. How we react and cope with depression really determines almost everything.

@Clive- Thanks man! There are so many bloggers that are "in touch" with their insides...I have a lot of catching up to do :-)

@KG- That's the best part of a blog community...people who really "get it" :-) Thanks so much!

Master Dream's precious treasure said...

Hawk ~ Beautifully written. i was most able to appreciate how you shut down. i think as a slave it's so much easier to turn into ourselves than express any outward emotion that might negatively effect our Superior.

Thank you. =)

Anonymous said...

You are certainly not short on courage. It takes strength to look inside and stare down one's demons.

I've spent a long time making peace with my shadow-self, and I've come to learn some hard, but valuable lessons in the process. In some instances, those shadows have turned out to be a source of strength as opposed to a liability. At other times, I've beaten them into submission, for our mutual good (if I cease to exist then so do they). Without my shadow-self, I would not have developed a warrior heart. Knowing I have such a heart keeps me going through the dark times and is a source of pride and accomplishment for me that no one can ever take away.

I tap my shield and bow in acknowledgement of a fellow warrior.

cassie said...

Dear Hawk,

thank you for this lovely and honest post.

Goddess-centric posts are wonderful and i am sure they make you feel good and proud to serve Her.

But Hawk is Her slave and he has feelings too. Hawk has to be able to live a happy and fulfilled life, even when not in Goddess's presence.

Maybe, slowly and carefully, both of Y/you can work towards that.

Hugs,
cassie